I’m a Limelight Volunteer – What do you do with my personal data?
Limelight is part of a company called Trafford Housing Trust Limited, and it’s Trafford Housing Trust which is responsible for keeping your information safe and complying with the law when we use it. This is called being a Data Controller.
Why do you need my information?
When you volunteer at Limelight, we need information about you in order to ensure that:
- You’re the right person for the role.
- We can contact you when we need to.
- We can support you in the volunteering work that you do.
What information do you collect about me?
The types of information we collect about you are:
- Name and date of birth, so we can identify you.
- Contact details, for when we need to get in touch with you.
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks – we will sometimes ask for your permission to complete one of these so we know you’re an appropriate person for the volunteering role you’ve applied for. Not all volunteer roles will need a DBS check.
- Start date, references, progress and training undertaken helps us to support you in your role and provide you with references if you ask for them.
- Equality and diversity information, if you choose to provide this, so we can review how inclusive our volunteer roles are.
- How you heard about volunteering at Limelight. This helps us when we think about how to advertise roles in the future.
- If you’d like to, we’d like to hear about your motivations and aspirations in terms of volunteering, as this helps us to support you in achieving your objectives when volunteering.
How do you get my information? Who collects it?
We collect your information in a number of ways:
- You provide the information to us when you apply to be a volunteer and as part of the volunteer recruitment, interview and induction process.
- With your permission, information is provided from the DBS if this is relevant to the role you’ve applied for.
- The management team at Limelight will record information about your role and performance, to ensure you are supported to be the best volunteer you can be.
How will you use my information?
We will use your information to:
- Get in touch with you when we need to.
- Assess your suitability for a volunteer role.
- Support you in your volunteer role.
- Organise volunteering activities and create rotas
- We will sometimes anonymise your information and use it to understand more about volunteering at Limelight. We might share this anonymous information with colleagues in THT, with external funders and sometimes we will share it in the public domain. All the information will be anonymised and will not contain any personal details that could identify you.
Who will my information be shared with?
If the role you volunteer for needs a DBS check, we will share details with the DBS in order to complete the check. You need to agree to this and pass the check before being given the role.
Your information will be shared with the management team at Limelight so that they can manage the volunteers and ensure you are supported in your role. The Human Resources Team will also be given copies of your details, as they have a central record of all employees and volunteers who work at THT.
We share your email address with surveymonkey and dotmailer) to enable us to communicate with you.
We share your email address with Litmos Learning Heroes e-learning site, to enable you to access our e-learning system.
How long will you keep my information for?
We need to keep most of your information on our files for 6 years after you stop being a volunteer.
This is so that, if there are any problems or complaints which might result in a legal or insurance claim, we have the information we need to respond to them.
You are able to ask for your information to be erased from our systems and if we no longer need it, we will erase your records. Sometimes we won’t be able to erase everything, in which case we will tell you what we need to keep and what we will erase.
Where you have enquired or applied to be a volunteer and been unsuccessful, we will keep your details on file for 12 months in case of any queries, after that they will be deleted.
Where is my data kept?
The servers which host our computer systems are all based in the UK.
We have agreements in place with service providers to ensure that your information is kept safe and in line with data protection law.
We hold some paper records, These are stored securely at our offices and are confidentially shredded by a reputable firm when we no longer need them.
If you’re unhappy with something we’ve done, please use the information set out in the Volunteer Policy and Volunteer Handbook to raise your concerns. If your concern relates specifically to how your personal information has been used, you can contact the Governance & Compliance Manager at Sale Point.
If you have a complaint about the way we have used your personal information, you can also contact the Information Commissioner through their website https://ico.org.uk/ or by calling 0303 123 1113. They will get in touch with us to check we’re using your information properly and complying with the law.
How do I know my data is safe?
We train all of our staff on data protection matters, so that they know how to keep your information safe and what they can use it for.
Our computer systems are all accessed by a user name and password so there is less risk that someone will be able to log on who isn’t authorised.
Information kept in our office is in locked cupboards and only staff who need it have access to it.
Access to my information
You can ask us for a copy of the information we hold about you at any time and no cost, for more information about how to do that, please contact the Governance & Compliance Manager at Sale Point.